Paul is President and Professor of the Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy. He studied meteorology at the University of Hamburg, obtained his diploma in 1984 and his doctorate in 1987. He worked as a research assistant at the University of Hamburg and at the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology.
In 1989 Paul moved to the German Weather Service. Initially, he devoted himself to operational forecasting services, product development using remote sensing data and numerical simulations. From 1996 he headed a sales department. Since 1998 Paul has been teaching at the University of Hamburg. In his function as head of the department, he temporarily led the medical meteorology and climate and environmental consulting departments from 2005 onwards. In 2008, Paul joined the board of the German Weather Service and took over the management of the business unit Climate and Environment. Since 2010 Paul also held the office of Vice President of the German Weather Service. In 2017, he accepted a teaching assignment at the Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, which appointed him honorary professor one year later.
Since April 1, 2019 Paul is President and Professor of the Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy.
About the Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy (BKG)
The Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy is the central service provider of topographic data, cartography, and geodetic reference systems for the German government. The legal basis of our work is the Federal Geo data Reference Act (BGeoRG) according to which BKG maintains geodetic reference systems and collects and provides reference data of the Federal Government for use by federal authorities and fulfills its international obligations.
Federal Agency for Cartography and Geodesy:
• ensures a uniform coordinate system for the entire territory of the Federal Republic of Germany
• provides up-to-date spatial data of Germany via the internet
• supports the establishment and expansion of spatial data infrastructure, which in turn enables all citizens to search for and take advantage of the spatial data offered by the federal government
• represents German interests in international collaborative entities and projects addressing the fields of geodesy and geoinformation
- Organisation: Bundesamt für Kartographie und Geodäsie
- Contact: VorzimmerPraesident@bkg.bund.de